Original Ginsu Knife TV Commercial
This realy needs no introduction. You know it. You love it. It's the one and only, Ginsu Knife commerical.
The Ginsu commercial was one of the pioneers of DRTV, direct response TV advertising. It helped to launch a massive industry which today includes the Home Shopping Network and QVC.
The techniques used in the commercial are taken from those used by sidewalk salesmen who used to set up a stage and sell patent medicines and other items to passersby. You'll notice that today's DRTV spots don't look all that different. The techniques are powerful and continue to work.
Is Ginsu still in business? Yes. Here is the Ginsu Web site.
But wait! There's more! Here's some trivia:
- The knives were first called "Eversharp." That didn't sell.
- What does "ginsu" mean? Nothing. It's a made up word. But it sells.
- Ginsu knives were originally manufactured in Freemont, Ohio, about two hours from my home.
- The company that now makes Ginsu knives is owned by billionaire Warren Buffett.
- The "Japanese chef" in the commerical was a local exchange student.
Copyright © Direct Creative. All Rights Reserved.